Recommended Clockmaker Tool List
Clock repair and service tools for the modern clockmakers shop.
NOTE: AWCI does not endorse specific manufacturers, distributors or brands of tools and supplies.
From AWCI Standards & Practices
Tooling List For Clockmakers
- WW style lathe and collet set, tooling (gravers) and burnishers
- Measuring devices (with both inch and metric)—calipers is essential,
micrometer is optional
- Number drill set
- Assorted files, buff sticks and abrasives
- Torch/alcohol lamp with solders and fluxes
- Jewelers saw and blades
- Bench pin
- Letdown keys
- Mainspring clamps
- Bushing system tools and bushings (KWM, American or Bergeon)
- Cutting and smoothing broach sets and handles
- Assorted hand tools—pliers, screwdrivers, nut drivers, hammers, etc.
- Staking tool set or punch set and bench blocks
- Lubricants, oils and applicators
- Cleaning and drying system—that is safe!
- Bench vise
- Assorted tweezers
- Pegwood, etc. for cleaning pivot holes, etc.
- Safety goggles or glasses
- Leather gloves and work protection gloves
- Brass and steel stock
- Loupes or optics
- A variety of movement test stands
Optional Tooling Recommendations
- Drill press
- Bench mill
- Dental burrs or jewelers burrs
- Mainspring winder
- Electronic movement timer
- Ultrasonic cleaner(s)
- Bushing tool
- Larger lathe (6” and up with necessary tooling)
- Step chucks, bezel chucks and drill chucks (even for the WW lathe)