• 1866

    horological-society-ny

    New Yorker Uhrmachers Verein

    The history of AWCI began with the early guilds and watchmaker associations that laid the foundation upon which AWCI is based. America's first watchmakers society was probably the New Yorker Uhrmachers Verein, organized on March 26, 1866, by German immigrant watchmakers located in New York City. In the 1930s it was reorganized as the Horological Society of New York. Next, a group of Chicago watchmakers formed the American Horological Society in June of 1892. On August 13, 1917, the Associated Watchmakers of America was formed. Later, the Horological Institute of America was established on October 20-21, 1921.

  • 1934

     

    1960-Merger

    The merger of UHAA and HIA

    UHAA and HIA

    In the time when the country was in a devastating economic depression, the United Horological Association of America was formed in May 1934. This was when the National Recovery Act, with its industry codes on hours and wages, was causing much confusion in the watchmaking industry. Formal discussions of merging UHAA and HIA began in May 1957, culminating with the formation of AWI in June 1960. Important advancements of the Institute are highlighted in the timeline below.

  • 1960

    AWI Organized

    AWCI was organized as the American Watchmakers Institute (AWI) in 1960. This was the nation's first unified horological organization. It combined the members of the United Horological Association of America (UHAA) with those of the Horological Institute of America (HIA) to form AWI.

  • 1965

    REC

    During the years 1965-1967, the Research and Education Council (REC) was created to strengthen the relationship between AWI and those schools throughout the country that gave instruction in timepiece repair. Nine of the country's most progressive horology schools joined to start the group.

  • 1969

     

    History Book

    Affiliate Chapter Meeting

    At the annual meeting, AWI's Affiliate Chapters were given an opportunity to discuss their mutual problems in advance, and then offered suggestions to the AWI Board for the first time. It was felt that this approach would enable AWI to be more responsive to the needs of all members. This practice continues today.

  • 1971

    ELM Trust

    On September 28, 1971, AWI established a separate branch of the Institute to be known as the AWI Education, Library and Museum Charitable Trust (ELM Trust). The purpose of the trust was: 1) To lend all practical assistance to schools who engage in the teaching of horology, 2) To establish a horological library, 3) To establish a horological museum, and 4) To encourage and assist students in their horological studies.

  • 1976

    bldg-1976

    AWI offices in greater Cincinnati, 1976

    Cheviot Bank Building

    AWI purchased their first headquarters building, a former bank building on a corner in Cheviot, Ohio's business district (suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio). It was a granite and stone structure that was refurbished and occupied in 1976.

  • 1977

    Horological Times

    In January 1977, the first monthly issue of Horological Times (HT) was published. It replaced the previous bimonthly AWI News. The HT featured original technical articles written by leading horologists, timely articles on trends in the industry, editorials and association news. This magazine continues to serve the industry today.

  • 1992

    Name changed to American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute

    In January 1977, the first monthly issue of Horological Times (HT) was published. It replaced the previous bimonthly AWI News. The HT featured original technical articles written by leading horologists, timely articles on trends in the industry, editorials and association news. This magazine continues to serve the industry today.

  • 1995

    groundbreaking

     

    Harrison, OH

    AWI moved its headquarters to a new 15,000 sq. ft. building at its current location in Harrison, Ohio. The building was designed to hold staff offices, The Henry B. Fried Resource Library, The Orville R. Hagans History of Time Museum, along with The Marvin E. Whitney Training Center with a watch and clock classroom.

  • 2000 AWCI Building

    40th Anniversary Celebration

    The new millennium began on a high note. The Institute celebrated its 40th anniversay. For the first time, educational programs were offered at the expanded national convention.

  • 2003 

    AWCI

    To reflect the name change made in 1992, the Insitute formally changed its acronym to: AWCI. The Institute also implemented its first website.

  • 2006

    Awards

    Two new member awards were added by the awards committee. These were the: Outstanding Achievement Award and the Meritorious Service Award.

  • 2010

    50-years

    50th Anniversary

    The Institute celebrated its 50th anniversary at the annual convention held in greater Cincinnati, Ohio. The Academy of Watchmaking at AWCI was very active and offered 21 watchmaking classes and 6 clockmaking classes, along with 12 certification exams that year.

  •  

    Our Future

    The American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute’s mission is:

    Setting Service Standards and Educating the Horological Community

    We will strive to grow the industry through numerous avenues that include technical and business services, communications, education and certification. The Institute will also serve its members by providing and outreach and advocacy for the timekeeping or horology profession.