The purpose of this course is to teach the student all the fundamentals of balance staffing. Topics covered will include the verification and analysis of the escapement function, poising (static & dynamic), truing and timing adjustment in a mechanical watch. Cutting out a balance staff on a lathe and adjusting the balance staff, and removing balance staffs from Glucydur balances with the Horia tool.
- Minimum 3 years full-time experience in watch repair (and/or) having attended the following AWCI Courses:
- WATCH 190: 21st Century Watchmaking Standards
- WATCH 200: Modern Automatic Watches
- Knowledge of watch escapement
- Knowledge of the oscillator unit
- Ownership of necessary hand tools
- Ownership of the books The Theory of Horology and The Watch Repairer’s Manual is essential. Must read pages 99-166 of The Theory of Horology prior to attending the course.
- Class Schedule: 5 days, Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Friday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.