The purpose of this course is to teach the student all the fundamentals of balance staffing. Topics covered will include the verification and analysis of the escapement function, poising (static & dynamic), truing and timing adjustment in a mechanical watch. Cutting out a balance staff on a lathe and adjusting the balance staff, and removing balance staffs from Glucydur balances with the Horia tool.
- Minimum 3 years full-time experience in watch repair (and/or) having attended the following AWCI Courses:
- WATCH 190: 21st Century Watchmaking Standards
- WATCH 200: Modern Automatic Watches
- Knowledge of watch escapement
- Knowledge of the oscillator unit
- Ownership of necessary hand tools
- Ownership of the books The Theory of Horology and The Watch Repairer’s Manual is essential. Must read pages 99-166 of The Theory of Horology prior to attending the course.
Length of course: 40 hours in 5 days, (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
Cost $1095 for AWCI members $1245 for non-members
Contact AWCI education director Jason Champion to register for this class at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-367-2924 extension 303